Monday, April 7, 2008

I have an idea.

The other night I was surfing the boob tube and came across this Oscar-like awards ceremony for Pro-wrestlers. I imagine that you might guess that this is not one of my interests. Here are these guys like Hulk Hogan crying in their giant suits about the award they just won for being great wrestlers. My point is not to judge these wrestlers but to make a point. I have had this on my mind for a long time but this kind of sealed the deal for me. In an effort to promote visual art I think we should have awards ceremonies for visual artists. There are the Grammy Awards for music, the Tony Awards for theater, the Oscars for movies, Emmy's for TV, there is even an awards show for kids' shows on Nickelodeon called the Kid's Choice Awards. Why isn't there anything for the visual arts? I think this could really generate an interest in visual arts on a larger scale. There could be awards categorized by various media in fine art for individual artists, graphic design in ads, web sites, and blogs, museums could be awarded for curating great shows, grass roots organizations could be recognized for their efforts, I could go on and on. Think about how Andy Warhol and Salvador Dali generated interest in their work. They were rock star artists of their time. I don't really have any inclination to be a rock star artist, but I do have an interest in reaping the rewards of our industry being recognized for its contributions to society. So of course the question is "Who should take on such an endeavor?" I don't know maybe Ovation TV. They are already interested in the arts and show biz. Maybe celebrity artists like Paul Stanley from Kiss or the medicine woman Jane Seymour. I don't know, I just like the idea and wish someone would run with it so I can keep painting and gain the interest of the masses.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my blog and for taking the time to comment!