Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Makes Us Stronger

Oh my gosh I have gotten so behind in my blog posts! I always feel like I need to catch up and post retroactively, but I don't think I will. There is so much going on with the gallery, and my family life, and I do have a social life again and I am loving it! Even better, I have been finishing paintings. It feels great. I am overwhelmed and optimistic, frustrated and a little lost, but I have decided to just. not. sweat it... not this time.

Here is one of my first paintings from 2011. 

Makes Us Stronger
32"x32"

Yes it is from the Nietzsche quote, "That which does not kill us makes us stronger." I am sure that sounds rather dramatic, but making art isn't all sugar and roses. Sometimes those royally negative feelings surface and wouldn't it be ridiculous to ignore them and pretend they aren't there, for the sake of remaining positive? I think so.

So yes, this painting came from a nasty little part of my brain that was feeling a bit wounded. Thankfully, it took me so long to finish that I came out on the other end feeling all the better for such painful experiences. Nope, no details here. No need to dwell, just need to grow.

2 comments:

  1. Well, whatever the struggle, the lime green surely suggests a new, bright, spring-like beginning. I hear you about the growing thing. As artists, we are destined to struggle along the way as we find out where our creative fuel needs to burn. I love this abstract. Looking forward to seeing more of your work. (Found you on Twitter... and ended here!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathleen,
    That you for taking the time to make such thoughtful comments. I am so glad you see the green as symbolizing a new begining, that is what I felt about it too! I tried to check your web site and blog, but it didn't work, so I will try again later.
    Heather

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog and for taking the time to comment!