Sunday, February 7, 2010

Mixed Breed Art Auction for the Gateway Pet Gaurdians

Amie King Simmons (you know, the super talented, super cool chick who happens to be my cousin) also happens to be a crusader for the Gateway Pet Gaurdians. They are a pet rescue headed by PJ ( the super cool lady who goes to East St. Louis to feed the homeless dogs every day). Amie dreamed up an art auction fundraiser a little over a year ago and, being the mover and shaker that she is, she started putting the wheels in motion immediatley.

This all started last summer when Amie invited artists to come and spend time with Gateway rescued dogs in a dog park in Soulard. She wanted to have more than just your typical art acution where artist donate work, she wanted art peices that were inspired by the rescues that she loves. Of course participating was a no brainer for me.

Meet Hank 


I decided to work from a photograph of Hank that Amie sent to me. Hank lives in a forever home now and it is so comforting to know that. His face just spoke to me. He had these healing scars on his face, and these eyes that convinced me that he would be a good family member even though he might no have been that family guy from the start. I know I don't always work so literally (except for my obsessions with trees) but I felt that Hank's eyes told a better story than I could abstractly.

If you have any interest in seeing my painting or the other artists work, or if you just want to have a good time for a great cause, come by Schlafly Bottleworks on Febuary 28, 2010 from 4:30-8:00. It only cost $5 to attend! Click here for more details.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my blog and for taking the time to comment!