Monday, March 24, 2008

Naomi Wolf

This is the last painting of my Women's Series that I made for Venus Envy 2008. She wasn't included in the Venus Envy exhibit because....I am not sure why. The juror said I didn't include her in my proposal, but I did. Maybe she just didn't like flags because she took out Elizabeth Cady Stanton and Susan B. Anthony also. I met Dr. Jacquelyn Lewis-Harris (the juror) and she was very nice, but we didn't discuss it.

Naomi Wolf wrote The Beauty Myth among many other books. She is an innovative thinker and I am always interested in what she has to say. I made this painting after watching an interview with Naomi Wolf on YouTube.com. The interview was about her newest book The End of America: A Letter of Warning to a Young Patriot. When I first heard of this book, I thought oh no, she has gone too far. Maybe she has, I haven't read it, but after watching the interview, it really had me shaking in my socks. She talks about her theory on how our current administration is gearing up to be a dictatorship. This is an extremely vague description, but I am trying to keep this entry short. Anyway, I impulsively made this painting in response to watching this video. The gray vertical lines represent the bars that we are keeping on ourselves as citizens by being lazy, scared and pretending not to know what is going on (or not paying attention). This is what is threatening our liberty, in Ms. Wolf's opinion and mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my blog and for taking the time to comment!