Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Rough Day in the Studio

Yesterday was a rough day in the studio. I am working on my project for Venus Envy and I have probably bitten off more than I can chew. Although I started this before a few weeks ago, the bulk of eight paintings needs to be finished and delivered by this Saturday. So needless to say, everything in our lives is on hold right now and I am working very long days and nights. I am making paintings inspired by prominent feminists from the 19Th century through today. Yesterday I finished up my research on the last few women and the things I learned were just too much. I was reading about Eve Ensler (you know..The Vagina Monologues) and I came across this interview with her about the V-Day Celebration they are having in April this year in New Orleans. This sounds like a wonderful event by the way. During the interview they ended up talking about sexual terrorism against women, children and babies that has been going on in the Congo for 11 years. I just cried as I read. I am not naive about the realities of the world, but that doesn't make it any less pleasant to hear bout these things. Did you know, according to the UN, 1 in 3 women are either beaten or raped every day on this planet? I didn't. So, as if that wasn't enough, as I researched for my last painting on Naomi Wolf, I came across this interview with her about her book The End of America a Letter of Warning to a Young Patriot. I would like to take the time and watch her lecture, but time is of the essence, so that will have to wait. This whole project has me feeling embarrassed that I didn't know so much. I sorta knew women's history and have always considered myself a feminist, but I obviously need to pay more attention. No pictures to show just yet, but they are coming soon. When I started this project, it was my intention to make kind of an uplifting tribute to the great women. I still intend to do that despite my emotional day yesterday. I am just feeling a bit humbled by knowledge and I hope I can do these women justice.

1 comment:

  1. Heather-
    Thanks so much for the link to CultureSurfer.com.

    Your work is beautiful, very peaceful.
    Naomi

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog and for taking the time to comment!